Homeschooling Rocks!


Last Friday we took an adventure to the Crater Rock Museum.  It was a great trip and the kids have been very inspired lately because they actually got a chance to bring some cool specimens home.

They gave us a tour of the workshop and then afterwords we got to go out into a yard and collect rocks and take them home for 25 cents a pound.

Unfortunately, we were not able to really break them out until a few days later.  This was a shame since a lot of the interest had faded.  But one evening, everyone was a bit restless, so I declared it reading time and I was going to write in my nature journal about our trip to the museum and they were welcome to join me.


I was shocked when the older kids stayed put and the little ones ran to the table with their journals in hand.  Theo, especially, surprised me, because he has never really showed much interest in nature journaling before.  He even asked me to write down something about his rocks and the trip to the museum in his book.

One of the things that has been hard about this new way of looking at my children's education, is not worrying so much.  I need to make sure that my expectations don't ruin a true learning experience.  If they aren't interested there is no point in forcing them to come to the table and draw rocks.  They would only resent it and would get nothing out of it but a forced memory... a memory that involved none of the learning I had hoped for them.

Photo Credit: Eva (2)

Eventually, the older kids wandered over and looked at some of what we were doing.  They never broke out their nature journals, but there were questions asked and answers found.


A friend posted on her Instagram feed the following quote.  After reading it I quickly added it to my homeschool journal.  It's profound message spoke to my heart and it is really what the core of what our homeschool experience should be:

"Children the world over have a right to a childhood filled with beauty, joy, adventure, and companionship. They will grow toward ecological literacy if the soil they are nurtured in is rich with experience, love, and good examples." - Alan Dyer



It is about fostering a thirst for knowledge, discipline in finding ways to grow learning, and love to help them express the beauty around them.  I have to always keep in the forefront of my mind, that this is their education, not mine.  I get to come along and learn with them, yes, but ultimately, it is theirs to nourish and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...