Welcome to Beneath the Mulberry



I have made the wild and crazy decision to relax.  

Homeschooling has become a challenge and while I am not sure I am ready to fully commit to unschooling, I do feel content with the decision to let go of the reigns, to embrace a more adventurous and unconventional way of learning.  Yet at the same time, I am very scared.

You see I have 9 children.  I have been homeschooling now for 13 years and only now am I coming to realize that there must be a change.


A few years ago I tried unschooling, but I was not brave enough to stick with it and honestly not very pleased with some of the results.  Life and the challenges of having teenagers made my resolve weak and shaky.  I went back to the old way.  The old way that never worked.

Years and years of jumping curriculum and methodology, too afraid to commit to just being ourselves, led to unhappy children and a very unhappy mama.  My relationship with my children grew strained and that was not the goal in bringing them home all those years ago.


So here I am, starting a new blog and a new adventure.  I am inviting you to come along on this journey with us and see where it might lead.  Here you will find our learning adventures, my attempts at relaxed-schooling, and, let's face it, probably quite a bit of yarn.


This blog will be a journal of sorts.  A place to embrace a slower way of living, enjoying the moment, and not worrying too much about those things that are beyond my control.  It will about letting my children bloom and grow, about letting me bloom and grow too.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for welcoming us to your new blog. I love reading a family's "journal of sort", especially a large Catholic family. It's so refreshing to hear your honesty. I'll be back for more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...