Most of my reading has been about education lately. I have a degree in English and Writing with an emphasis in education (mostly middle to high school level). I also can now say I have homeschooled every grade. So I guess, education is my thing.
After watching several fascinating videos by one of my new heroes Sir Kenneth Robinson, I decided to get my hands on some books and look more into modern educational theory, but also into more of the old stuff, too!
I was surprised to find that so much of what was being said by great minds like Charlotte Mason are being reiterated in this same century by other great minds like Gatto, Holt, Robinson, and more.
Anyway, I thought I would share with you my summer reading list for the homeschool mom. Some inspiration to get you motivated!
- Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling, 10th Anniversary Edition I have almost finished this one. Amazing! My mouth drops open when I think about him giving some of these speeches in front of school board members who just awarded him Teacher of the Year!
- Weapons of Mass Instruction: A Schoolteacher's Journey Through the Dark World of Compulsory Schooling
- Big Book of Unschooling
- Free to Live: Create a Thriving Unschooling Home
- A Little Way of Homeschooling
- Towards A Philosophy Of Education (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling Series) At least this one, and I might cheat and read the condensed versions over at Ambleside Online.
And look how cool this is!!! Waldorf Math looks amazing...
And just in case you think I have become a total bore, I am hoping to get some fiction reading in too!
From the Kitchen of Half Truth
I also plan on watching some Bollywood this summer. We watched this the other day and it was a hoot!
There you have it! So have a fun and educational summer! *Smile*