Alphabet All the Time: A Week

IMG_1512


This year my goal is to be well prepared for our journey through the alphabet.  I want it to be fun but NOT overwhelming!  So I have decided to plan, plan, plan.  That way when the assigned week pops up all I have to do is open the plans and get to it!  Then I thought I ought to share them all with you, too.  This will all be mostly aimed for Buttercup who is now 5 years old, but I am trying to not make it too girly so her brothers can play along if they want.

While I loved our journey down the alphabet path in the past, I wanted this time to be a little more changeable.  I wanted to be able to pick different saints, according to our favorites, saint days, and ones we have incredible books for.

I organized it all up so that we have only one activity a day:


  • Monday: Letter Introduction
  • Tuesday: Person of the Week
  • Wednesday: Activity or Craft
  • Thursday: Tea (which will be more like a snack with style)


Handwriting Page:

Mauscript A Page

IMG_1415

The lighting is a little off, but I have her trace the letter with her finger while making the short "A" sound.  Then with a crayon or pencil she writes the letter.
I would love to get a set of sandpaper letters for them!  Maybe someday...


Just Some of the Books in Our Basket:

IMG_1413


Brother Bartholomew and the Apple Grove


Apples to Oregon


Activities:

Apple Print T-shirts!

IMG_1475

After covering the table with newspaper or paper bags, we grabbed some fabric paint (you can also use acrylic paints) and squirted some out on some paper plates.
IMG_1477

We found some plain white t-shirts at the dollar store.  We cut up a box and placed some cardboard inside, so the paint won't leak through to the back.


IMG_1480

We cut some apples in half and put them face down on a towel to soak up some of the juice.  


IMG_1486

I then found some obliging kiddos in my front yard and put something on them to keep them from getting paint on their clothes.


IMG_1489

We smooshed apples in paint, handed them to the kids and let them go wild.


IMG_1492

Well, not too wild, unless you like cleaning.

IMG_1510
Buttercup's shirt

I hung the shirts from an apple tree (if you don't have one it is ok, totally not a requirement) and let them dry.


IMG_1511
Rogue's Shirt

Some other ides for A Week fun:
  • Visit an Aquarium
  • Accordian Fold-out Cards 
  • Visit an orchard and pick apples
  • Tour a business that starts with A, like Albertsons.
A Week Tea:

IMG_1541

Apple Cider
Apple slices with Cheese
Ants on a Log



IMG_1558


IMG_1570


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...