Baking Bread!

** UPDATED JULY 28, 2011**

Today we decided to Bake Bread, in honor of B week!




Amy Caroline's Whole Wheat Bread

3 cups warm water

2 Tablespoons of buttermilk
(you can omit this but it makes the bread a little fluffier)

1 Tablespoon yeast

1-2 Tablespoons honey or sugar

1/4 cup melted butter

1 Tablespoon salt

1/2 cups white flour
(I sometimes do more 1/2 white, 1/2 whole wheat.  It just makes such a nice rise.)

6-8 cups whole wheat flour (or more)


First add the yeast and honey to warm water in bowl of mixer with a bread hook.
Wait about 5-10 minutes, until yeast becomes bubbly.
Add salt...



and melted butter (or oil)



Mix and then...



...add the flour a cup at a time until dough clings to the hook and not the bowl of the mixer.



Form dough into a ball and place in an oiled pan. Turn once to cover dough.


Let rise for about 1 hour.



Punch dough down.


Form into two balls and push down into oiled bread pans.



Wait about another hour. Read Brigid's Cloak and then color a picture of Saint Brigid!

 







Place in preheated 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes. When done remove from oven and remove from pans.


Coat the top of the loaves with butter.




Let cool for a little while.

Smother with more butter and jam...









ENJOY! No not the plate Rogue... the BREAD!



3 comments:

  1. My bread never turns out as well!!! I am defeated by kids! Lovely idea for "B". I might just have to incorporated the alphabet path for my own little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Josette! I have been making bread for a few years now and this is years of practice and getting the recipe just right. Of course, that means just right for my area. Climate, water, all that stuff can affect bread making. But it is totally worth it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I know where I'm going wrong, 1. We never make the sign of the cross in the dough....

    2. We live in the Minnesota freeeeeezing cold tundra!

    Wow, that bread looks sooo beautiful, I wrote down the recipe and will try it!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...