Are You Done Yet?


Rose

As I was rocking Buckaroo to bed tonight, the sweet smell of his lavender baby shampoo filling my nostrils, I could not help but feel so lucky.  I was struck with the amazing feeling of well-being… of love.

So many people hear, usually those with big families, that dreaded and, often, inane question, “Are you done yet?”  Aside from the general “It is none of your business” common first thought, I often answer that it simply isn’t up to me.  Yes, Buckaroo could be my last baby.  But I would be a fool to tell you that thought doesn’t make me terribly sad.
Lily

I have never had that feeling, while cuddling my child, that I wouldn’t ever want another.  I will admit that there was a time that I didn’t want more.  I was done… or was I?  True, we had been on our way to taking care of the “issue” when God intervened and changed our path.  It had been a time before we were so solid in our faith, before we knew the reason behind the Church’s teaching on embracing life.

Daisy

I cannot tell you how many times Hubby and I have sat back and thought about that time in wonder.  What if we had gone through with it?  How could we have lived with that decision when we know what we know now?  And most importantly, could we even imagine what our lives would be like without Rogue, Buttercup, and Buckaroo?  The very idea sends a jolt of pain through my very soul.  A world without any of these precious children is unfathomable.  The pure joy that these three have brought to all our lives is priceless.
Rogue

Awhile ago a priest who was with us for a short time gave a wonderful homily which summed up these thoughts quite brilliantly.  Why do Catholics have so many kids?  Because we love life.  Amen!  True there is heartache and pain the world.  I think tonight about the fires burning around our valley… about those people who are without homes tonight in Medford and Ashland.  But within heartache, and believe me we have had our share, there is grace.  A grace so powerful that it can only leave you thanking God for seeing you through whatever troubles you have had.

Yes, we love life.  God gave us this life to love.  In the sidebar is one of my favorite Biblical quotes, "And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony." Colossians 3:14  Without love there can be no harmony, no joy, no peace. 
Buttercup

So, “are we done yet?”  I don’t have a clue!  I hope not.  I hope that once again I will be able to hold another one of my own close to heart, sing my baby a lullaby, and love… love that baby deeply with all the love God has graced me with.

True, there are days when things are hard, times when I worry about the world we are living in.  Days when I know I have sprouted yet another gray hair.  But, with all that love comes hope.  Hope walks hand in hand with love.  In the eyes of all my children I see the brilliant glimmer of hope.  Hope for tomorrow and forever.  I can’t imagine ever saying no to that.


True, there are days when things are hard, times when I worry about the world we are living in.  Days when I know I have sprouted yet another gray hair.  But, with all that love comes hope.  Hope walks hand in hand with love.  In the eyes of all my children I see the brilliant glimmer of hope.  Hope for tomorrow and forever.  I can’t imagine ever saying no to that.

4 comments:

  1. very beautiful post. My sentiments exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how does one explain all that to someone who has NO real concept of the beauty of life as God intended it! How do you answer the question, how many "kids" (I always want to answer that I don't plan to raise goats... but, I digress) do you WANT to have?? When I was a youngster and had no understanding of the beauty and preciousness of it all, I always dreamed I'd have six children. Will that be what I have now? Who knows... NOT ME!! I always am stunned at people's belief that it is THEIR information to know and ask about! And when I say this... I don't mean your best friend or your mother who is asking... these are complete strangers! Just who do they think they are?!?! Oh, they are the ones who think they know a whole lot about everything in your life even though they have known you for about 10 minutes! Your kids will be ruined socially for homeschooling and you are the crazy nut for not "knowing how birth control works"... oh, how I love strangers!! A kind smile and such is all I can offer. I do not know how to educate the ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking how blessed it is to have so many children.I have never not wanted any of them and I like you cannot imagine life without them. I have always wanted more, does that sound greedy? I don't think so, God has put a very real love in my heart for any and all of the children HE chooses to give me. I pray He chooses to Bless me with more. I just love them so much and am completely honoured that He gives us so much Love in return with these little ones.
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Josette! I was just looking down at my precious son and was just overwhelemed by the gift of him.

    You are right elm. How do you explain? So many people lack hope, cannot wrap their mind around it. They see dreams as foolishness. There is a magic in the gift of children, and so many people today do not believe in that kind of magic. I can never imagine a life without dreams of what could be! There are some things that people will never understand, no matter how many times you explain it to them.

    Gae, if it is greedy, then sign me up on the greedy train!! lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...